Thursday 3 May 2012

Secrets to success: 10 ways to stay "motivated" (For more than just Artists)


Ladonna II Study by Mim* Thompson
The question of staying motivated to create is a good one. I'm in the lucky situation of being a full-time artist-writer, so I don't have to break my focus up with a second 'out-of-studio' job.

Also, I'd rather paint & write than do anything else, so my greater challenge is finding motivation to do tedious things such as washing the paint off my clothes, floors, & walls, or worst, the dreaded paperwork & due-diligence everyone has to face on occasion. Now those are MY personal inspiration annihilators.

The following tips may seem more useful for the beginner artists, but examined a little closer and placed in a broader arena one may find they can be of  benefit to the seasoned artist as well as the average human being attempting to be original.

During my Tour of Life, whenever I’ve stumbled I’ve been lucky enough to come across little gems which have helped me to get up again. These are but a few in my precious collection, which I share with you now. I consider them my ‘Shooting Stars’; not only have they served me well, but they’ve often carried me to where I stand today, so I revisit them often. It is my fervent hope that, at the very least, they add some sparkle to your world.

... "Today is where your book begins – the rest is still unwritten" (Song: ‘Unwritten’ by Natasha Bedingfield)

"That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well." (Abraham Lincoln)
"Carrie" by Mim* Thompson

Tip 1: Vision Quest

Get an IDEA! 

 

I make it sound easy, I know, but take a moment, grab some precious 'quiet time', and find ‘THAT IDEA’ that moves you. This is especially important when you're first starting to discipline yourself to paint/draw. If you come up with something you really WANT to create then the project will provide its OWN motivation.


If you have trouble finding this "fantastic idea" to spur you on, then step back and do something you love. Visit a museum or a gallery; take a walk in the forest; sit on a beach; work in the garden (warning: causing things to grow may cause YOU to grow); take some "ME" time without feeling guilt. (Note: this emotion is the killer of dreams and creativity. Avoid it at all cost. Do not welcome or dispense it)


So: Inspiration = Goal = Motivation.

After you've found your great idea, play around with it (but not too long) just long enough to build some anticipation, which in turn builds up some excitement inside. Remember looking forward to Christmas when you were a kid? Try to regain that inner-youth. Playfulness is never a waste the older you get, methinks!

"Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen." (John Steinbeck)

 

"Stolen Moment" by Mim* Thompson

Tip 2: Schedule / Routine

Make an appointment with yourself

 

People who have daily jobs and commitments which they have to work around, especially those with ever-changing schedules, should try to make appointments with themselves to create.

As you would schedule anything else, try to pencil in the best time of the day, week, or month. Make sure it's time alone, or with little distractions, as well as a decent chunk of time to allow you to actually get something on the canvas/paper. Like getting THAT great idea, if you actually make progress, no matter how small, it will drive you to keep up the routine; propelling you to honour your next block of planned time.

A friend of mine, a busy working mom of 3, missed painting so much that she started getting up an hour earlier each morning to fit in some art time. It was quiet, and the early morning sunrise inspired her. Not only did she confess that she was more productive with her art, but also in life. She also admitted that she was happier and seemed less stressed, feeling as though she was allowing herself a gift she deserved.

Personally, I'm a bit slow in the mornings, and I know this about me (heck, if I'm not honest with myself who will be?), so I found that building a daily routine helped me to focus when I finally did get to my paints. I usually reserve sketching for the mornings. This seems to open up my thoughts since I feel most creative right after a good night's sleep; then by late morning/early afternoon I find I can paint with a more relaxed attitude.

 


"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." (Michael Altshuler)

"Flamenco" by Mim* Thompson

 

Tip 3: Exercise - Meditate - STRETCH

Movement, Deep breaths, and Mind travel 

 

At this stage I have to stress that artists must find a way to fit in a daily routine of exercise AND meditation (of some kind). Both are needed for a healthy body and mind, as well as the ability to keep squeezing into your wardrobe after hours of staring at a canvas without much movement


The positions and angles which I contort my body into while painting for lengthy periods of time take their toll if I'm not in good physical shape. Also, the ideas seem to flow faster when I've taken some "Zen time".

Another bonus is that if you feel good about yourself you're more likely to do something nice for ‘YOU’ by giving yourself the time you’re entitled to. 

 Personally, I have to force myself to stop, slow down, and to do something different yet important once in a while, like paperwork (yuck!) and exercise, otherwise I risk falling into one of the many ruts lying in wait to engulf me. I sometimes get too entranced in my work and completely forget that I have to do these things, so I either fall behind in the office or stiffened up to the point where I set myself back for a few days due to pain. 

I cannot stress enough to the young/new artists: STRETCH!!!!! Very important. Movement is great, but stretching is paramount.

"Ambition has one heel nailed in well, though she stretch her fingers to touch the heavens." (Lao Tzu)

"Susanoo" by Mim* Thompson

Tip 4: Your Special Space

Your Precious Place 

 

Creating a great area to allow yourself to paint/create is often difficult to achieve. Either the space isn’t there, or it’s hard to justify having an off-limits, just-for-you place when you rarely seem to be using it.


Giving yourself a little zone to be able to turn to when you’re feeling creative (or ‘in a mood’) is another way to tap into that inner-reserve of inspiration which will drive you to accomplish more in every aspect of your life. Creating your own spot is like having your own cosmos, a place that, when you build it, can be like allowing yourself to finally take a deep breath.

Comfort is important (good chair, practical layout, ease of use), depending on what your particular needs are, so put a little thought into it. Also, great lighting is crucial. Windows are great (if you have a lot in all the right places), but you almost always need another good source for backup, and for those 3 A.M. moments when your brain just won’t allow your body to sleep.

After that, appeal to your true nature to design a space that draws you in, be it 'fun', 'elegant', or 'sterile'. Add whatever you need so that it calls loudly to who you are, and makes ‘YOU’ very happy when you're in it. Do the S-test = do you feel like smiling when you enter that area? The more it makes you feel complete, cheerful, or content, the less it will feel like work when you’re in it.

"A house becomes a home when you can write, 'I love you' on the furniture." (Author Unknown from 'Dust If You Must')


"Lady Sings the Blues" by Mim* Thompson

Tip 5: Overcoming Darkness & Doubt

Light your candle! 

 

We must all fight the good fight to overcome those dark periods, and not give negative thoughts ANY power.


When I go through these murky patches I try to catch myself right away (which isn’t always simple) and do (at least) these two things which really help me to snap out of it:

1) I increase my exercise regime. 

Endorphins are our friends, and not only will you be healthier for it but you’ll feel like you’ve accomplished something important (health is the most important thing after all). This is particularly useful when it seems like you’re taking three steps back with every one, or nothing seems to be going right. After a good sweat, you’ll be more focussed and better able to tackle the beasts in your world.

2) I wear a bright colour. 

Seriously – somewhere on my body, I will put on something cheerfully vivid, something that spells FUN. A pink scarf, a purple shirt, one green and one red sock, a brilliant blue something, or a dazzling yellow anything; and the brighter the better. This not only serves to warn my loved ones that I'm in a tad fragile state, but also reminds me to be kind to ‘ME’, putting a smile on my face when I surprise myself in the mirror.

"The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude." (Oprah Winfrey)

Fight the good fight

Always keep guard against doubt and fear intruding into your world and taking over.

Try to question why you might be experiencing these emotions, be it emotional blocks, health reasons, or other detrimental factors/people in your life. If you look at something close enough you may begin to understand it in time, enabling yourself to possibly move towards being able to let it go.

Remind yourself of your talents; celebrate YOU!

Remind yourself that you are NOT alone. Call on your beloved 'cheerleaders' if you feel those lonesome moments taking your hand, leading you to falling into those dreaded pits of despair. Note: ‘Cheerleaders’ can switch between loved ones and special moments or accomplishments in your life that you cherish


Whenever possible, ignore and avoid all bullies in every form, even if that means isolating yourself from groups of people during certain periods in your life. Sometimes we have to clear away the dead wood in order to cultivate the beauty that is inside us all.

Think on those troublesome times as temporary growth spurts that you will rise above as you move on to your next glorious phase of productivity.
"Ladonna II" by Mim* Thompson
"Jammin" by Mim* Thompson

Tip 6: Handy Notebooks & Sketchbooks

Notebook = thoughts + Ideas / sketchbook = break down creative blocks + practicing 

 

Tired of finding barely legible, torn up notes in my purse written on everything from tissue paper to the back of wine labels, I got a tiny notebook that fits in a wee pocket in my purse. It may sound trivial, but so many amazing ideas have been lost in the world by everyday geniuses (such as you) because they weren’t jotted down.


As a simple thought gives birth to an idea, writing it down is like offering it a gasp of air, giving it form, bringing it further into existence, and propelling it towards a life of its own. After taking its first steps on a humble piece of paper (or computer screen) an idea has a much greater chance of growing up to maturity. (Note: This same concept can be used for achieving goals, and is how the power of positive thinking really gets driven home.)

I also keep a sketchbook on hand for when I have some 'veg' time. Instead of just sitting in front of the tele, mindlessly watching the images before me, I multi-task and sketch my foot, the potted plant smiling at me, or the sleeping pet (or hubby).

This not only keeps the creative juices flowing, but it helps my brain work out things I have difficulty with, and often provides interesting ideas for the next project. Doing this has also gotten me out of some of the aforementioned ‘murky moments’.

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one." (Mark Twain)

"Renee" by Mim* Thompson

Tip 7: Multi-tasking

Work on more than one piece 

 

My friends find it amusing that I always have 2 or 3 pieces on the go, but often it's just the background, gesso, or texture that I get down or work on in order to allow me to think on it while I work on one major project. I'm then propelled into the next with great excitement.


As an artist I often have to give layers a chance to dry either before or in between stages, and can’t afford (or endure) to literally sit on my hands and watch/wait until things set/dry. So, until the time is right to resume pace on the main piece, it’s handy to have a few other projects in the wings helping to keep me feeling productive and useful. For me, to stop means to stagnate so, like a shark I always have to keep moving.

Also, sometimes I get stuck on something I'm working on; things are just not quite right, but I can’t figure out what the problem is. This is when I need to take a BIG step back and let my brain work on its own in the background; let it digest a little while, even subconsciously. That's when I put that piece on a side-burner in a place where I can see it on occasion, but not all the time so that it eats away at me either. The spare bedroom works best for me since I go in there sporadically, but ON THE WALL - not the floor behind the vacuum cleaner, or in the closet for it to get forgotten with all its new dust-bunny friends – give it a position of importance in that room since it will be a great piece when it’s finally finished. 

This way, like writing the idea down, you will keep thinking on it, and will figure it out, and will finally get back to it one day. (Note: if you’re filling room after room with “unfinished” or “in the works” pieces, you’re either too hard on yourself, too much of a perfectionist, or you have to get a bigger house.)

"The successful always has a number of projects planned, to which he looks forward. Anyone of them could change the course of his life overnight." (Mark Caine)

"Trombone Shorty" by Mim* Thompson

Tip 8: Nurture Creativity

Be creative in everyday life 

 

To keep those proverbial creative juices flowing abundantly inside try looking at the world as one huge artistic playground just waiting for your original touch for it to come alive. Start with your home, and spiral your way out to your neighbourhood and see how far you get before it gets contagious and goes viral. Each month (or week), try to do something imaginative to keep your mind in the routine.


October - carve out a pumpkin or make your own candy.

November - cook up your best Thanksgiving feast ever.

December - make your own tree ornaments, and if they don’t turn out like you planned or match your Christmas décor, then hang them outside for the birds & neighbours to enjoy. (Tip: if you add some peanut butter & some seeds on them the birds will REALLY love them!)

Try organizing a "Dinners of the World" year with friends, choosing a different country each month, and in turn sharing the creative bug.

Start your own blog, writing articles on anything from the best places to buy pumpkins to the brands of peanut butter your birds favour the most. Share your creativity (and maybe some of your secret recipes) on the World Wide Web. Create – Create – Create!

"Out of suffering comes creativity. You cannot spell painting without pain." (John Lithgow in Third Rock From the Sun)

"Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything, whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out." (Tina Turner)

"4 Directions" by Mim* Thompson

Tip 9: Ignore Negativity

Attitudes are contagious. Are yours worth catching? 

 

Don't listen to negative comments regarding you or your Art. We all grow with ‘creative criticism’, but there is a line where it gets too personal and ventures outside of the realm of a ‘helping hand’. Some people just drain the life right out of your creative being, so identify who those people are, and don't allow them to make comments or judgments when it comes to your art.


"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." (Herm Albright)


"The soul does not absorb negativity by accident, always by choice." (Dodinsky)

 

Don't give in to negativity!

'If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.' - Michael Jordan


Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will YOU get back up?

"IRIS" by Mim* Thompson

Tip 10: Take the plunge

Just do it!


Some people take so long to get started or second guess where the line should go that they never draw it in.

Nike had the right idea – three little words, but all-inclusive and absolute: Just Do It!

"Keys to success : Research your idea, Plan for success, Expect success, & just plain do it! It amazes me how many people skip the last step! Practice being a "doer" and success will follow you every step of the way!" (Josh S. Hinds)

No comments:

Post a Comment